Friday, May 21, 2010

FRUIT

Okay... so today I made Dutch Babies (A German Pancake thingy...) and Fruit Salad. I also finished up a tart-ish thing made from puff pastry and berries.

The fruit salad was especially nice because it was an easy way to use up fruit that we wouldn't use otherwise. We had enough berries in our house that we would normally never consume them before they go bad. When my family has fruit salad with dinner, it is always very popular and much more fruit ends up being eaten (which is good because it would be a shame to waste it).The pancake thing was good too. The pancake is cooked in the oven and the middle ends up flattening while the sides stay high. This creates a little bowl type thing where I put some of the fruit from my fruit salad. Because it's me, I also put a few (or maybe more than a few) shakes of powdered sugar on top.
The tart was fun because my recipe had all these little fun tricks to help with presentation. For example, the recipe told me to heat up some jam until it is liquid-y and brush it on top of the cooked berries in the tart (it gives the berries a very attractive shine).
I'm not sure about the fruit salad, but both the pancake and the tart are now gone.

I'm not sure about the tart, but I would definitely make the pancakes again (the fruit salad is not really included in this assessment because we make that often). Although I did think the tart was good, I liked how I could add the berries to the pancake as I went because I found that the bottom of the tart got a little mushy when the berries were cooked in (and I don't think I'm that big a fan of mush).

Anyway, childhood game night is tomorrow again. I feel like its interesting that my friends have decided to reconnect with their inner child right before we go to college.

By the way, I just wanted to let you all know that I'm really excited. One of my facebook friends who will also be going to NOTRE DAME has already gotten her dining card (aka--- she's legit). This is exciting because I should be getting mine soon (theoretically) When I get mine I will probably have to post it up here--- just warning you.

Also, I got a new soap... meaning I officially know what apricots smell like now. But, I not sure that I have tasted an apricot before.... THEREFORE someone who has tasted one (I don't care if you liked it or If you hated it -- Pistachio) must comment and let me know what they taste like (no the comments 'it tastes like fruit' and 'it tastes like an apricot' are NOT acceptable.
Thank you very Very VERY much (in advance)

No comments:

Post a Comment