Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Yay Florence Nightingale!


For all of you who did not know, I had to do a report on someone who made an impact in the world. This report was a fourth grade project, and I chose Florence Nightingale. The only fact that I took away from that project is one I still remember.
Florence Nightingale was born on May 12th, 1820.
Why would I choose to remember this? Simple. My brother was born May 12th, 1993.
So, happy birthday to you, happy birthday to you, happy birthday to J.J. and Florence!... Happy Birthday to you.

In honor of J.J.'s birthday I made a special cake (more on that later), but I also made what he requested for dinner. J.J. asked for gnocchi for dinner. While there were definitely some frustrating moments, the gnocchi dish eventually made it to the table and wasn't have bad (if I do say so myself).
But the big success of the night was when my mother taught me how to make her balsamic vinaigrette. It was delicious. I was very proud of myself. My mother was grateful nothing broke or caught fire during this episode .The only downside was that the birthday boy still hasn't managed to show up! The gnocchi are getting cold, and I'm getting impatient for cake, so we definitely have a problem.

Actually, we have two problems. My mother and I went to a consultation with my oral surgeon today. (I drove there and it was stressful for both of us.) I'm getting my wisdom teeth pulled. Why is this my problem, you're asking? This is your problem because for the entire day of May 24th I will most likely not post at all (that's the wisdom teeth day). For the week after, all you will see is different colored liquids, because the only recipes I will be making are smoothies and milkshakes.

If anyone has any recipe recommendations please comment! (If you are commenting on the benefits of pineapple, my oral surgeon says that the steroids in my IV will do just as well.)
While I'm on the subject of the IV, my doctor says that video cameras are not allowed in the recovery room, and my mother will keep me away from J.J. Therefore, it will be pointless for you to look for an embarrassing YouTube video of my juiced-up state.

Anyway I'll be back soon! Just as soon as I can take a picture of the cake (I can't do it now because I will eat it if I look at it again).

3 comments:

  1. hahaha
    that looks really yummy!! (i'd be more jealous if i didn't have breakfast for dinner ^_^)

    oh and Katy, it's only like the first 2 days where you only eat liquids, u just want SOFT foods - so yay for you! you can make mashed potatoes, pudding, pancakes (maybe minus the chocolate chips), let's see...um ice cream and more ice cream!!!
    Oooh! how about orzo pasta? you don't really have to chew it 'cause it's so small...also! Hmmm...also for maybe like a few days after, ground turkey/beef - that's pretty soft....also pasta a few days later....ok so that's all i can think of for the moment...(except cake! haha that's pretty soft! mmmm...like sponge cake! :) )

    darn, that's a monday, so you won't be at ballet :( i shall miss you

    *Elizabeth

    p.s. i really hope you are reading my comments, i'll be sad if you aren't :P

    p.p.s. i'm going with the fact that you ARE reading this comment...i hope you enjoyed my rambling-ness :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did enjoy your rambling-ness!

    Okay so guess what else my oral surgeon told me??

    He is recommending jaw surgery to realign my upper and lower sets of teeth.... it sounds really uncomfortable.

    it was really scary though--- the video that they made you watch almost had me rocking in the fetal position!

    ReplyDelete
  3. AHHHH!!! jaw surgery?!? is that really necessary?? (p.s. i'm pretty sure i spelled that last word wrong, but i don't care)

    hmmm..video....i don't think i had to watch one...i just remember being freaked out by the pamphlet they gave me the first time i went - for like the before meeting thing...ya...not a fan...so it was a good thing that i was knocked out during the procedure :) don't remember a thing

    ReplyDelete