Monday, May 17, 2010

Mexican Mondays

I have been getting recipe requests (especially for the shrimp stir fry), so I decided that I would post one.

This recipe was originally for chicken stir-fry, but I just substituted shrimp. It was adapted from page 131 of The Frog Commissary Cookbook.
Basic Oriental Stir-Fry With Chicken
Sauce (we normally double it)

1 1/2 tsp. sesame oil1/2 tsp. minced ginger
1/2 tsp. minced garlic
1/2 cup chicken stock
1 tbsp. soy sauce1 tbsp. brown sugar
1/8 tsp. Tabasco1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
1 1/2 tsp. lemon or lime juice (we use lemon)
1 1/2 tsp. cornstarch
1 tbsp. rice wine or dry sherry (we use rice wine)
Heat the sesame oil in a small saucepan. Add the ginger and garlic and stir-fry about 15-30 seconds. over medium heat. Add chicken stock, soy sauce, brown sugar, Tabasco, salt, pepper, and lemon juice. Bring to a boil. Stir. Dissolve cornstarch in rice wine and whisk into sauce. Heat until sauce thickens and reaches a full boil. Simmer for 30 seconds, then remove from heat and set aside.

Stir Fry

2 tbsp. corn oil
6 ounces boneless, skinless chicken breast cut into 2" x 1/2" strips (or use shrimp!)
1/2 cup julienned red or green pepper
20 snow peas, stemmed (about 2 1/4 ounces)

We also add broccoli (2 heads is definitely enough)

Cooked Brown Rice

Have all ingredients ready. Heat corn oil in a large skillet over high heat until very hot. Add chicken and stir fry 1-2 minutes. Add the vegetables and sauté until crisp-tender (about 1-2 minutes). Add the sauce. Heat through briefly and serve at once over brown rice.


If you decide to try it, let me know how it goes! I'll be interested to see if you guys think it is as good as we do!


Moving on, today I yet again worked on mastering my slightly pathetic grilling skills. We did chicken, which turned out fine after I made my mom come outside in the rain at least twice to check if it was done yet.
We also grilled peppers. They could have used a little more time on the grill, but they still tasted fine-- so I'm happy.I have to admit though I actually started to pity the peppers when I set them on the grill today. When I saw the charred outside of the peppers, I really could sympathize.
You see, I spent 5 hours outside in the sun on Saturday for Pistachio's Birthday Picnic. Unfortunately, my legs were so burned that it is still painful for me to bend and straighten my knees (YES, feel free to pity me. Although, you probably can't pity me more than I am currently pitying myself.). So maybe it was a subconscious thing (my new-found level of understanding with the peppers sitting on the grill possibly making me want to take them off a few minutes earlier than I should have??).
Anyway. We used the peppers and the chicken in combination with blueberries and cheese (and salsa in some cases) to make FAJITAS!!!!!!!!!
They were absolutely delicious! It made me extremely happy.
I also realized that this is the second Monday in a row that I have had/ made Mexican food for dinner. HENCE (yes I say hence!) the title of this post, Mexican Mondays. Do you like the two Ms?? I like them. I Always Appreciate Alliteration.
Anyway. I also attempted to make popovers (I've never really had them before, so I have no idea if what I made is what they are supposed to taste like. If that is what it is supposed to taste like, I'm not sure if I like them.
I did like them more when I put either butter or strawberry jam on them. But of course, I like almost anything more when I put butter or strawberry jam on it. I used Williams- Sonoma's recipe for Perfect Popovers, but I didn't have a popover tin, so I just used half of a 12-cup muffin tin. I have absolutely no idea if that made a difference, but I didn't get food poisoning. Naturally, that has been and will continue to be the goal in this expedition.

All right readers!! (haha I did it again!!) I will see you tomorrow for Day 2 Week 2 of Katy's Cooking Project.

1 comment:

  1. mmm that looks/sounds good...
    the pop overs look good! they aren't burned! (which always seems to happen whenever we make them...we don't make them too often so it's always with a diff oven!)

    and i'm likeing the Mexican Mondays (what's next week gonna be?! :D )

    p.s. I saw this on someone's blog and thought it looked/sounded good http://redvelvetgirls.typepad.com/emma/2010/05/apple-fritters.html mmmm :)

    ReplyDelete